Saturday, March 3, 2012

Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly

Title: Harmonic Feedback

Author: Tara Kelly

Publisher: Henry Holt

My Copy: borrowed

Summary:

Sixteen-year-old, music- and sound design-obsessed Drea doesn’t have friends. She has, as she’s often reminded, issues. Drea’s mom and a rotating band of psychiatrists have settled on “a touch of Asperger’s.”

Having just moved to the latest in a string of new towns, Drea meets two other outsiders. And Naomi and Justin seem to actually like Drea. The three of them form a band after an impromptu, Portishead-comparison-worthy jam after school. Justin swiftly challenges not only Drea’s preference for Poe over Black Lab but also her perceived inability to connect with another person. Justin, against all odds, may even like like Drea.

It’s obvious that Drea can’t hide behind her sound equipment anymore. But just when she’s found not one but two true friends, can she stand to lose one of them?

My Thoughts: Sometimes there's a book that you know you're going to love before you even start it. For me, Harmonic Feedback was one of those books. I'd seen nothing but good things about, my favorite author Stephanie Kuehnert had recommended it, and music played a big role. Unfortunately, when I'm super-excited for a book before I read it, I often put off getting a copy because I'm afraid it won't live up to my expectations, which is why I'm reviewing this long after the release date has passed.

And I must say that I wish I hadn't waited so long to read this one. From the very first page, I was hooked. I even read in my favorite class because I couldn't put the book down.

Harmonic Feedback is so authentic in how it tells the story and portrays the characters. The entire novel is an emotional, wild ride. There are twists that I never saw coming. Drea is such a fascinating character. I love the fact that while she has a diagnosis, this is not an issue book. She is fighting her label and being inside her head was so wonderful. Justin and Naomi are such great supporting characters, though I still haven't decided whether or not I liked Naomi.

Harmonic Feedback is one of those books that stick with you long after you finish reading it. I loved it so much – I've gone back to reread my favorite parts multiple times. It reminds me of a slightly “lighter” version of Ballads of Suburbia (aka my Favorite Book Ever). I definitely recommend getting a copy ASAP!

1 comment:

Birth Certificate said...

YourDoorStep is here to provide you Gazette Office in Haryanai service at very affordable prices from the comfort of your home. Get it now at very affordable prices