Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore


Title:
Magic Under Glass
Author: Jaclyn Dolamore
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Rating: 9.5/10
Summary:Nimira is a foreign music-hall girl forced to dance for mere pennies. When wealthy sorcerer Hollin Parry hires her to sing with a piano-playing automaton, Nimira believes it is the start of a new and better life. In Parry's world, however, buried secrets are beginning to stir. Unsettling below-stairs rumors swirl about ghosts, a madwoman roaming the halls, and Parry's involvement with a league of sorcerers who torture fairies for sport. Then Nimira discovers the spirit of a fairy gentleman named Erris is trapped inside the clockwork automaton, waiting for someone to break his curse. The two fall into a love that seems hopeless, and breaking the curse becomes a race against time, as not just their love, but the fate of the entire magical world may be in peril.

My Thoughts: Magic Under Glass is an absolutely amazing book. The first few chapters, while vital to the story, are not that exciting but once the story picks up speed, it never stops.
I'll admit to having my doubts about the romance because I didn't think it was possibly to show affection and romance between a human girl and glass. But Dolamore pulled it off in such a way that felt so real. I could feel the pain and worry and affection between the two of them, to the point it nearly brought me to tears a few times. The fact that Erris was simply an automaton didn't take anything away from the romance - it simply added to it.

The world that Dolamore created is absolutely beautiful. I was completely swept into the story until the very last page was turned and then I just wanted to start all over.

Overall, I highlyhighly recommend this. I think I'm going to be breaking my no-hardcover rule to go buy this one!

Cover Comments: Despite all the controversy, I absolutely LOVE the cover. It's gorgeous. I never really picked up on the fact that Nim was extremely dark-skinned because I skim those parts so I never had a problem with it until it was pointed out to me.
FTC: Copy provided by publisher.

No comments: