Monday, July 5, 2010

One Night That Changes Everything by Lauren Barnholdt

Title: One Night That Changes Everything
Author: Lauren Barnholdt
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Rating: 9/10
Summary: Eliza is in a full-blown panic. Her notebook has been stolen—the one that lists everything she wants but is afraid to go after. And the absolute worst person in the world has it: her ex-boyfriend, Cooper.

Like it’s not enough Cooper was lying to Eliza for their entire relationship, now he and his friends are blackmailing her. They’re giving her just one night to complete the most humiliating tasks on her list or they’ll post her secrets online—including the ones that aren’t just about her.

Eliza’s sure of only one thing: she isn’t going down without a fight. Cooper may have what’s left of her dignity, but she’s not the only one with something to hide …

A hilarious and sweet teen novel by Lauren Barnholdt, the author of two-way street

My Thoughts: One Night That Changes Everything is a book that I could absolutely not put down. I loved every minute of it. Barnholdt has created an absolutely unique story with characters that bounce off the pages. The idea of a notebook where you write down all of your fears is really intriguing from the start and I think a lot of girls, even guys, will be able to relate to Eliza's fears.

The story takes place over the course of one night but it's a very eventful night. There's never a dull moment in the story and it's nearly impossible to figure out what's going to happen next. The fears Eliza has to face are each so different from each other. Some will leave you laughing and others will leave you gasping.

My one complaint with the story is Eliza's friends. She goes on about how amazing they are but in reality...well, they seemed to be pretty crappy friends and that's not something she ever realizes. However, that could just be my personal opinion on what a "real friend" should act like. Otherwise, I adored the characters. Eliza is strong, indepenant, and funny. And Cooper...well, Cooper is Cooper. We'll just leave it at that.

If you're looking for a quick and fun summer read that has some depth, One Night That Changes Everything is your book!

1 comment:

Collegiate Bookworm said...

Glad to hear you couldn't put it down! I'm on tour for this one, and your review made me even more excited to read it!
I love that it all takes place in one night. It reminds me of Nick & Norah, which I also loved- movie and book.
Great review! I'm excited to get my hands on it.