Thursday, December 31, 2009

Top Books of 2009

I was going to list my Top 10 Books of 2009 but everytime I finished, I'd think of another book I loved. Plus, it was really hard for me to decide which books I liked better to put them in order - the only two I was positive about was my Top 2. So, I'm going to list my Top 2 books with a bunch of honorable mentions.

Honorable Mentions:

Faery Rebels: Spell Hunter by R.J. Anderson

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan

After the Moment by Garrett Freymann-Weyr

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Twenty Boy Summer - Sarah Ockler

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick



My Second Favorite Book of 2009:

Willow by Julia Hoban
Seven months ago, on a rainy March night, sixteen year- old Willow’s parents died in a horrible car accident. Willow was driving. Now her older brother barely speaks to her, her new classmates know her as the killer orphan girl, and Willow is blocking the pain by secretly cutting herself. But when one boy —one sensitive, soulful boy—discovers Willow’s secret, it sparks an intense relationship that turns the “safe” world Willow has created for herself upside down.
Told in an extraordinary fresh voice, Willow is an unforgettable novel about one girl’s struggle to cope with tragedy, and one boy’s refusal to give up on her.




And, drumroll please, my favorite book of 2009 and possibly of all-time is....

Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert
Kara hasn't been back to Oak Park since the end of junior year, when a heroin overdose nearly killed her and sirens heralded her exit. Four years later, she returns to face the music. Her life changed forever back in high school: her family disintegrated, she ran around with a whole new crowd of friends, she partied a little too hard, and she fell in love with gorgeous bad-boy Adrian, who left her to die that day in Scoville Park....
Amid the music, the booze, the drugs, and the drama, her friends filled a notebook with heartbreakingly honest confessions of the moments that defined and shattered their young lives. Now, finally, Kara is ready to write her own.

6 comments:

Angiegirl said...

All right. You've convinced me to put WILLOW on my list. *reserving at library*

Thanks!

Sab H. said...

Great list!! YAY BALLADS!!!

Unknown said...

You know, I really want to read Willow. I think I'll add it to my TBR.

GREAT list!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Very cool list. LOVED Ballads and Willow too so they are definitely on my top 09 list as well.

-Lauren

Violet said...

I need to add your top two to my "To Read" list. :) I loved several of your honorable mentions.

YA Book Queen said...

Wow, was BoS really that good? I'll have to check it out!